Thursday, April 16, 2015

Run, Trena, Run!

We met in the Fall of 1994, freshman year at Butler University. She didn’t come to orientation because of Mono. So, of course, she was labeled the diseased girl. Within two weeks, I was labeled the bitch thanks to my roommate (truth be told, I probably was). I posted a note asking for rides to Ball State, Trena Goble (Roudebush) responded, despite the bitch rumors. We’ve been friends ever since.

We’ve seen each other through dead fish and failed marriages. We’ve enjoyed the bounty of the Absolute drawer and the shutters of poor choices. She knows when to love me (Spartan Hell) and kick my ass (Ice cream incident). Basically, our friendship has ridden Willy Wonka’s glass elevator and we are better because of it. 

Over the years I’ve seen her grow from a young lady searching for her place in the world to a powerful woman that knocks down any barrier she encounters. Trena defines unselfishness. She has donated her time, sweat and tears to countless organizations. Active 20-30 Club, Coburn Place, Girl Scouts, the list goes on and on. She has emotional, physical and mental growth spurts on a quarterly basis.

Her latest ‘growth’ spurt has been marathoning. I remember when she tackled her first 20 miles after a late night sleepover at my mother’s house. Not two years later, she is headed to the Boston Marathon. She has earned this spot. That small piece of asphalt that will be her home an hour before the starting pistol is shot should have her name on it and a deed attached.

I am so proud of her. I am in awe of her. She inspires me on a daily basis. But I am also green to the gills, want to punch someone, jealous of her. I am jealous that she set a fitness goal and, not only achieved it, but is already looking for the next challenge. I am jealous that she isn’t fat and I am. I am jealous that it comes so easy for her.

But here’s the thing: it hasn’t been easy. No, she isn’t carrying around a fat ass (IBTC *smirk*) but physical weight isn’t the only thing that can hold you down. We are our own worst enemies. And when things get hard, it is so easy to listen to that voice inside you and simply quit. Your body feels better, but your mind and heart… not so much.

After several failed attempts at getting in shape and losing weight, I decided I needed a makeover. Physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. I started my journey in January and haven’t looked back. I went from a 4 to an 8 on the happiness scale thanks to a kick ass therapist. I have turned so much over to God and am just enjoying the ride. I was diagnosed with PCOS, which has been the source of many problems for decades. I am 90% clean eating and exercise at least four times a week. And I don’t weight myself anymore.

I earned this makeover. I earned this growth spurt. And I continue to search for the next challenge.

Trena, I love you. You’re the sister God gave me later in life. Words cannot define how proud I am of you and all your accomplishments. I like being in your shadow with all of this, because it means I’m keeping up with you. See you at our finish lines! 

No comments:

Post a Comment